Recipe: Spicy Tofu
- 1/2 lb Firm tofu
- 1/4 c Red onion, sliced
- 1 ea Green onion, chopped
- 1/4 c Mint leaves, chopped
- 2 lb Assorted vegetables, chopped
- 2 tb Soy sauce
- 2 tb Lime juice
- 1/2 ts Ground toasted rice
- 1 tb Ground roasted chilies
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Set aside on paper towels to drain. Heat a wok & add the tofu without oil.
- Stir-fry until heated through, but not crisp. Put in a mixing bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients except the assorted vegetables & lettuce.
- Mix thoroughly. Line a serving bowl with a layer of lettuce leaves & pour the saute over them. Serve surrounded by rice & assorted vegetables.
- Heat uncooked rice over moderate heat until golden, stirring to prevent burning.
- When the colour is uniform, remove from heat, cool & gring to a powder. It is best to use a mortar & pestle.
- Roast whole chilies, stems too, in a dry wok until they darken. Be careful that they do not burn. Cool. Remove stems & seeds. Grind.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)