Recipe: Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 1/2 c Olive oil, best quality
- 2 c Onions, yellow
- 4 lb Tomatoes, plum
- 6 oz Tomato paste
- 2 tb Basil, fresh, minced
- 1/2 ts Oregano, dried
- 1 ts Salt
- 1 tb Pepper
- 4 c -water
- 5 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a large deep pot. Add finely chopped onions and cook, covered, over low heat until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes.
- Add skinned and seeded plum tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the water and cook very slowly, uncovered, for 3 hours.
- Stir in the minced garlic and finely chopped parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasoning if necessary. Use immediately or cool to room temperature before covering. Refrigerate or freeze. About 3 quarts.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Italian