Recipe: Spicy Vegetable Soup With Black Beans
- 1 md Onion, chopped
- 4 lg Garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c Red wine, stock, or water
- 28 oz Can crushed tomatoes
- 4 c Water or stock
- 1 Green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Stalks celery, diced
- 2 c Sliced okra
- 2 ts Finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 ts Each dried oregano, dried
- Thyme, paprika, and ground Cumin 1/4 ts Each black pepper
- Cayenne pepper 1 c Diced zucchini
- 15 oz Can black beans, with liquid
- 1 To 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 c Cooked brown rice
- Braise the onion and garlic in wine until onion is soft. Add tomatoes, water, green pepper, celery, okra, ginger, and seasonings; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the diced zucchini and the black beans with their liquid, cover and cook until the zucchini is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add soy sauce to taste. Serve over cooked brown rice.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)