Recipe: Spicy Vegetarian Chili
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion — chopped
- 2 carrot — finely chopped
- 4 garlic clove — minced
- 1 red bell pepper — chopped
- 1 green bell pepper — chopped
- 2 jalapeno pepper — or canned, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 1 28 oz. can tomato — chopped, reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro — finely chopped
- In a large, nonreactive soup kettle warm the oil over low heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic, red and green peppers, and jalapenos. Cover the kettle and co ok the vegetables until they are very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add the chili powder and cumin, and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and the tomatoes and their juice. Increase the h eat to medium and bring the chili to a simmer.
- Adjust the heat to maintain a s immer and let the chili cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper, and cil antro and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)