Recipe: Spicy Whole Mung(Or Lentil) Beans
- 1 1/2 c Mung beans or lentils, dry
- 9 c Water
- 1 t Sea salt or rock salt
- 1 md Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 2 1/2 tb Lemon juice
- 1/2 ts Curry powder, mild
- 2 ts Coriander powder
- 1 tb Ginger root, fresh, minced
- 1 tb Sunflower oil (not optional)
- 1/2 ts Mustard seeds
- 1/2 ts Cumin seeds
- 1 t Tumeric
- 1/8 ts Black pepper
- 1/2 Green pepper, chopped
- Soak beans overnight. Drain them and cook with 6 cups of water in pressure cooker for 20 minutes, or until quite soft.
- Without pressure cooker, soak beans at least 2 to 3 hours. Rinse, then place in large pot with 9 cups of water and cook for 40 to 50 minutes, or until quite soft.
- In small frying pan, heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds. When mustard seeds pop, add tumeric, then add the warmed spices to the cooked beans.
- Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Serve over basmati rice.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)