Recipe: Spinach Garlic Soup
- 10 ounces Fresh spinach trimmed/coars
- 4 cups Chicken broth
- 1/2 cup Shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup Chopped onion
- 8 Garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup Butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 5-quart Dutch oven, bring spinach, broth and carrots to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add flour; cook and stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes. Add to spinach mixture.
- Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until finely chopped.
- Place in a large saucepan.
- Add cream, milk, pepper and nutmeg; heat through but do not boil.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)