Recipe: Spinach Soup With Basil And Dill
- 1 pound russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 20 ounces packaged frozen chopped spinach thawed
- 1/2 cup minced fresh dill
- A handful of fresh basil leaves Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- The color and the fresh taste is especially nice in winter.
- If you like cream soups, add 1/2 cup of half-and-half or milk to the blender while you puree the ingredients.
- To accompany this quick soup, try crostini topped with tapenade or sundried tomatoes and Parmesan In large soup pot over medium-high heat, combine potatoes, onion, garlic, stock, salt, and mustard. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 20 minutes.
- In several batches in food processor or blender, puree the simmered vegetables and liquid along with the thawed spinach and the herbs.
- Return soup to pot over low heat and heat thoroughly.
- Season with black pepper and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)