Recipe: Split Pea Soup With Chunky Vegetables
- 1 1/2 c Split peas, yellow, dry
- 6 c water
- 2 Tomatoes, plum chopped
- 1 md Onion chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1/4 c Parsley chopped
- 1 t Dill weed, dried
- 2 c Sweet potatoes peeled and
- cubed 2 c Broccoli florets
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Soak peas in 4 cups of water for 4 hours or longer.
- In a medium saucepan, bring peas and soaking water to a boil.
- Add tomatoes. Simmer, covered, until peas are very soft, 20 to 25 minutes.
- In a blender or food processor, puree 2 cups of pea mixture until smooth, adding a little extra water if necessary. Return pureed peas to the saucepan.
- Cover and keep warm. In a large deep pot, combine onion, garlic,parsley, dill, sweet potatoes and remaining 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simemr 6 to 7 minutes. Add broccoli and simmer another 6 to 8 minutes, or until broccoli is tender but still crunchy.
- Add pea mixture reduce heat to low, cover and cook gently until just heated through.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)