Recipe: Split Pea Soup With Croutons
- 1 To 2 T Safflower oil, as
- -necessary 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced or put
- -through a press 2 Carrots, chopped
- 1 Leek, white part only -cleaned and sliced 2 c Split peas, washed
- 6 c Water
- 1 Bay leaf
- Sea Salt and pepper to taste 2 tb Butter
- 6 sl Whole Wheat Bread, cut in -cubes 1 Clove Garlic, minced or put -through a press
- Heat safflower oil and saute onions and garlic until onion is tender Add carrots and leeks, saute a few more minutes and add split peas, water, bay leaf, salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, or until peas are tender.
- Remove bay leaf Puree half the soup in a blender or through a food mill and return to pot.
- Adjust seasonings. Heat butter in a pan and add garlic and bread cubes. Saute until cubes are golden (this can be done in advance).
- Remove from heat. Heat soup through and serve, topping each bowl with a generous handful of croutons. This freezes well. Via Lawrence Kelli, FidoNet cooking echo
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)