Recipe: Split Pea Soup2
- 8 c Water
- 2 1/4 c Split peas, dried
- 1 md Onion
- 1 t Salt
- 1/4 ts Pepper
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery, chopped
- 1 lb. of dried split peas ÃƒÆ’Ã‚Âºpprox. 2 1/4 cups
- Heat water and peas to boiling. Boil for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and cover. Let sit for 1 hour. Add ham (whole), onion, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer until peas are tender, about 1 hour. Remove ham and trim meat from bone. (I usually use 1 lb boneless smoked ham) Cut ham to 1/2 inch pieces. Stir ham, carrots, and celery into soup.
- Cover and simmer until veggies are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Like I said, it freezes well and is a very convenient side to a sandwich or whatever.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)