Recipe: Stir-Fried Tofu And Mushrooms
- 2 lb Tofu -=OR=- deep fried tofu ———-MARINADE———-
- 2 tb Sake
- 1 tb Cornstarch
- 2 tb Soy sauce ———MUSHROOMS———
- 1 c Dried shiitake mushrooms,
- soaked in warm water for — 30 minutes 1/2 c Vegetable oil
- 1 tb Garlic, crushed ———SEASONINGS———
- 2 tb Soy sauce
- 1/2 ts Pepper
- 1 ts Sugar 4 ea Fresh chilies, seeded &
- chopped 4 ea Green onions, diced
- If using regular tofu, it will need to be pressed & diced. If using deep-fried, dice it. Then, marinate the tofu for 5 minutes. Remove & reserve the marinade.
- Trim the mushrooms & quarter the caps. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok over high heat. Fry the tofu until it begins to change colour. Turn over & fry the other side, be careful not to break it. (If using deep-fried tofu, it won’t need as long for cooking).
- Remove tofu & saute garlic. Stir-fry until it begins to brown. Add the mushrooms & stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the marinade & stir-fry for a couple of minutes. Return the tofu to the wok with all the seasonings plus 1/4 c water. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the green onions, cook 15 seconds & serve hot.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)