Recipe: Swedish Cardamom Braid Abm
- 2 tb Yeast
- 1/2 c Lukewarm Water (105 to 110 -degrees) 1/2 c Milk, scalded
- 1/4 c Sugar
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 1 Egg
- 3 1/2 To 4 c Flour
- 1 ts Ground Cardamom
- 1/2 c Raisins, dark or golden
- Combine the yeast and the lukewarm water. Let stand until dissolved. Pour the hot milk over the sugar to dissolve it.
- Pour the hot milk over the sugar to dissolve it. Add the salt and vegetable oil. Cool. Stir in the yeast mixture, egg, 3 cups of the flour and the cardamom into the sugar mixture. Add the raisins and extra flour. Beat until smooth.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly-floured surface. Divide into thirds.
- Roll each part into a 10-inch-long strand. Braid loosely. Place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)