Recipe: Sweet Pea Soup With Lemon-Pepper Cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (10-oz) russet potato, peeled and cut in
- 1/4 inch dices 1 (10-oz) firm-ripe pear, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped or 1/2 tsp dried
- 1 package (10-oz) frozen peas
- 1 bunch watercress, rinsed, coarse stems discarded
- 8 sprigs watercress for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In 4-quart Dutch oven, melt butter.
- Add potato, pear and onion; cook covered, over low heat, stirring often, 20 minutes, until potato is tender.
- Add chicken broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover; simmer 8 minutes.
- Add peas and watercress; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 3 minutes. In blender, puree in batches. Add salt and pepper.
- Whisk together ingredients. To serve: Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 8 bowls.
- Serve hot, at room temperature or chilled.
- Drizzle with Lemon-Pepper Cream. Garnish with watercress.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)