Recipe: Tabbouleh (Lebanese Style)
- 2/3 c Bulgur
- 2 c Water
- 2/3 c Minced red onion
- 1 ts Salt
- 1/2 ts Ground allspice
- 1/2 c Finely chopped fresh mint
- -leaves or 1 tb dried, -crumbled 2 1/2 c Finely chopped fresh parsley
- -leaves (preferably flat- -leafed) 1/2 c Finely chopped scallion
- 1/4 c Fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 c Finely-diced seeded seedless
- -cucumber Put bulgur in a heatproof bowl. Bring water to a boil and pour over bulgur. Let bulgur stand 1 hour.
- While bulgur is soaking, in a large bowl, stir together onion, salt, allspice, and dried mint, if using (do not add fresh mint now), and let stand 30 minutes.
- Drain bulgur in a sieve, pressing hard to extract as much water as possible, and add to onion mixture with remaining ingredients, including fresh mint, if using.
- Toss salad well and season with salt and pepper.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)