Recipe: Tandoori Tofu Brochettes
- 1 lb Extra firm tofu, drained
- 3 ea Green onions
- 1 tb Fresh ginger, minced
- 3 ea Garlic cloves
- 1 tb Brown sugar
- 1 tb Soy sauce
- 1 pn Saffron, dissolved in 1/2 c
- boiling water 1/2 c Soy yogurt
- 2 tb Chili powder
- 2 tb Paprika
- 1 tb Garam masala, optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 4 sm Red onions, unpeeled
- 1/4 lb Button mushrooms
- 1 pt Cherry tomatoes
- 1 ea Green pepper, seeded & slice
- Cilantro leaves & lemon — wedges for garnish Gently press tofu to remove exces moisture. Slice into large pieces & then cut each chunk crosswise. Set aside.
- Place green onions & ginger in a food processor & process briefly. With the machine running, drop in garlic cloves, one at a time. Process 30 seconds.
- Add remaining ingredients. Process 1 minute. BROCHETTES: Place onions, mushroom, tofu & marinade in a glass dish & seal. Refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill next day. Quarter onions & remove papery outer skins. Skewer vegetables & tofu alternately.
- Place on hot grill & brush with remaining marinade. Cover grill tightly & allow to smoke for 5 minutes. Don’t peek.
- Trun once & cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro & lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)