Recipe: Tangy Red Bulgar
- 1 tablespoon oil, olive or vegetable
- 1 cup bell pepper, red or green, or combination, chopped
- 1 cup zucchini, or yellow squash, or combination, chopped
- 2 1/4 cup bloody mary mix, or vegetable juice
- 1 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 tablespoon lemon, juice
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried, crushed or 1 tb fresh, minced
- 1/3 cup onions, green, chopped
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook pepper(s) and squash(es) until tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in Bloody Mary mix or vegetable juice, bulgur, lemon juice, and basil. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to Low. Cover and simmer 5 to 8 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Garnish with green onions. May be served warm or as a salad at room temperature. To Microwave: In a 2-quart microwave-safe casserole dish, combine oil, red pepper and zucchini.
- Cover with lid; microwave on high 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring twice during cooking. Add vegetable juice, bulgur, lemon juice, and basil. Cover and microwave 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring twice during cooking. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions. Crockpot: Add all the ingredients except the basil and green onions and cook on Low for 8 hours, adding the basil after 7.5 hours. Garnish with green onions just before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: supper
Culinary tradition: USA (General)