Recipe: Tauhu Goreng
- 4 ea Bean-curd/tofu cakes
- 1 c Bean sprouts, scalded
- 3 ea Inches cucumber, shredded
- Salt Oil
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 ea Green chilis, sliced
- 2 ea Red chilis, sliced
- 2 ea Garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/2 tb Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tb Vinegar
- 2 c Peanuts, roasted
- 3/4 c Water
- 2 tb Fresh cilantro leaves
- — chopped Sal Or substitute 1/2 cup peanut butter for pounded/blended peanuts.
- Heat enough oil (about 2 inches/5 cms deep) in a wok or pan to deep-fry the bean-curd/tofu cakes until they are slightly brown.
- Lift them out and let them cool. Then cut each cake into 2 pieces and make a deep slit across the center to form a pocket.
- After that, mix the bean sprouts and cucumber in a bowl and season well before filling the bean-curd/tofu pouches. For the sauce, pound or blend the chilis and garlic together.
- Then add the soy sauce, vinegar and salt. Next put in the ground peanuts and add the water a little at a time.
- Stir to make a smooth coating sauce.
- Arrange the stuffed bean-curd/tofu cakes on a dish garnished with slices of cucumber and fresh cilantro leaves and pass the peanut sauce separately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)