Recipe: Tempeh And Sweetcorn Roast With Tahini/Mushroom Sauce
- 1/3 c Water
- 1 tb Soy sauce
- 1/2 c Tempeh
- 1 sm Onion
- 1 tb Vegetable oil
- 1/2 c Corn kernals
- 1/2 c Whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tb Soymilk
- 1 pn Thyme
- Sea salt Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c Mushrooms
- 2 ts Vegetable oil
- 2 tb Water
- 1 tb Tahini
- 2 ts Soy sauce
- Seasonal vegetables — (as desired) Bring the water and soy sauce to the boil in a small pan, place the tempeh (defrosted if frozen) in it, lower heat, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes; turn the tempeh over and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Drain. Chop the onion.
- Saute in the oil in a saucepan 3-4 minutes until softened. Remove from heat. Mash the tempeh into the pan, then add the drained corn, breadcrumbs, milk, thyme and seasoning; mix well.
- Turn into an oiled oven dish and bake at 350 degrees F (180 C)/Gas Mark 4 for about half an hour.
- To make sauce, chop the mushrooms and saute them in the oil in a small pan until tender. Stir in the water, tahini, and soy sauce; bring to the boil, stirring, then lower heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the roast with the sauce poured over it, accompanied by seasonal vegetables.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)