Recipe: Ten Tasty Vegetables (Shi Ziang Cai)
- 1 c Carrots, shredded
- 1 c White Chinese turnip
- shredded 1 c White Chinese celery
- shredded 8 Pieces soy spiced beancurd
- (or Loma Linda brand -Vegetable Hamburger) 3 c Soybean sprouts (NOT mung
- bean sprouts) 4 Green onions, shredded
- 1/2 c Nami dried black mushrooms
- soaked & shredded 1/2 c Cloud Ear dried fungus
- soaked 1/2 c Dried lily flowers, soaked
- and hard tips removed 2 oz Bean thread noodles, soaked
- 1 ts Salt (to taste)
- About 6 to 8 T peanut oil for stir-frying PREPARATION: Shred in 2″ lengths: carrots, turnip, Chinese celery and beancurd.
- Shred onions, greens & all, into 2″ lengths. Rinse, then soak in hot water: enough mushrooms, fungus and lily flowers to give specified amounts.
- Shred mushrooms, chop fungus. Soak bean thread noodles. Bean thread noodles are important because they soak up excess moisture from the vegetables.
- Vegetables should be moist but not soggy or watery after stir-frying.
- STIR-FRYING: Stir-fry fresh vegetables separately with about 1 tablespoon oil for each, in hot wok. Add salt to taste. Drain off excess water, reserve. (Soybean sprouts should be cooked until they are slightly charred for fullest flavor.)
- To stir-fry dried soaked ingredients, begin with hot wok, add 2 to 3 tablespoons oil, then add mushroom, fungus & lily flowers.
- Stir-fry green onions, add all other ingredients to them, including noodles. Allow dish to cool before serving.
- NOTE: Fresh or canned bamboo shoot may be substituted for any vegetable. Seaweed may be used instead of some of the fungus.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)