Recipe: Thai Hot And Sour Shrimp Soup (Tom Yum Goong)
- 1 c Shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 1/2 c Water
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- 2 Stalks lemongrass
- cut into 1″ pieces — and smashed. Use 2″ from — base only. Discard leaves 1/2 c Straw mushrooms
- Canned or fresh) 2 tb Lime juice
- 3 tb Fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 1 ts Thai red curry paste
- 2 ts Sliced red & green chilis
- or to taste) 1 tb Chopped cilantro leaves
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Stir in the curry paste, lime leaves and lemongrass.
- Bring to a boil again and add shrimps and mushrooms. Cook just until the shrimps are done but not overcooked.
- Stir in fish sauce and remove from heat. Spoon the soup into a serving bowl and add lime juice, stir to mix well. Sprinkle chilies and cilantro leaves before serving.
- Serve hot with cooked rice.
NOTE: Boneless chicken pieces may be used instead of shrimps. Omit the chilies if desired. Additional fish sauce may also be added to the soup at the table.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Thai