Recipe: Tofu Noodle Soup
- 1/2 lb Firm tofu
- 2 c Noodles made without egg
- 5 c Vegetable stock or bouillon
- 1 md Carrot; chopped
- 1 Celery rib, with leaves
- chopped 1 md Onion; chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves; minced
- 1/2 ts Dried marjoram
- 1/2 ts Dried thyme
- 1/2 ts Rubbed sage
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 ts Fine sea salt
- 1/4 ts Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb Fresh peas; shelled, -OR-
- 1 c -(thawed) frozen peas
- 1/2 c Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Drain and rinse the tofu. Put the tofu in a plastic bag or container, close it tightly, and freeze until the tofu is frozen hard.
- Remove the bag or container from the freezer and put it in a bowl of hot water, or let the tofu thaw at room temperature.
- Gently squeeze the water from the tofu, using your hands, and then squeeze it dry between two towels.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the noodles just until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse well under cold running water, and drain again. In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the noodles just until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Drain, rinse well under cold running water, and drain again. In a large pot, combine the vegetable stock, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, marjoram, thyme, sage, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cubed tofu, peas, and parsley, return to a simmer, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked noodles and bring just to a simmer.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)