Recipe: Tom Yam Goong (Thai Hot And Sour Soup)
- 1 qt Water
- 2 Stalks lemon grass, cut
- into 1 1/2″ lengths 4 Kaffir lime leaves, each
- torn off center spine 1 lg Shallot, peeled, sliced
- 6 sm Thai chiles
- OR 2 Serrano chiles, sliced
- lengthwise 1/2 lb Medium shrimp, peeled and
- deveined, tails left on 1/2 c Canned straw mushrooms
- 3 tb Lime juice
- 3 tb Fish sauce
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 sm Firm tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 c Cilantro leaves
- 1 tb Chopped pak chee farang
- Place water in 3-quart saucepan. Add lemon grass, line leaves and shallot and bring to boil.
- Add chiles and shrimp. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add straw mushrooms, lime juice, fish sauce and salt. Add tomato and cook just until heated, not soft.
- Turn unstrained soup into serving bowl. (Do not eat lemon grass and lime leaves.) Top with pak chee farang and cilantro leaves.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Thai