Recipe: Tomato And Orange Soup (Marguerite Patten)
- 1 1/2 lb Tomatoes, skinned
- 1 Onion, peeled
- 1 Carrot, peeled
- 35 fl Chicken stock or water witb
- 1 Chicken stock cube
- 1/2 ts Grated lemon rind
- 1 ts Grated orange rind
- 1 Bay leaf
- Salt and black pepper 1 1/2 oz Margarine
- 1 1/2 oz Flour
- 5 fl Orange juice
- 5 fl Single cream, optional
- Strips of orange rind Slice the tomatoes, onion and carrot.
- Put into a saucepan with the stock, or water and stock cube, the fruit rinds, bay leaf and a little seasoning. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf. Sieve or liquidise the soup. Heat the margarine in the saucepan, stir in the ilour, then gradually add the soup and the orange juice. Bring to the boil and stir or whisk until the soup thickens slightly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream then heat for 2 minutes, without boiling. While cooking the soup put the narrow strips of orange rind into cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes then strain.
- Top the soup with the softened rind. In a microwave: Simmer the tomatoes and other ingredients in the liquid for about 20 minutes. Use DEFROST after the liquid comes to boiling point.
- Variations: Serve as an unthickened soup, simply sieve or liquidise the ingredients add the orange juice and heat or serve well chilled. Use 2 x 14 oz/400 g cans of chopped plum tomatoes instead of fresh.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)