Recipe: Tomato Soup With Basil (Potage De Tomate A La Basilic)
- 3 lb Plum tomatoes
- 5 tb Olive oil
- 1 Red bell pepper; diced
- 2 Garlic cloves; minced
- 2 tb Tomato paste
- 1 ts Fresh thyme leaves; -OR-
- 1/4 ts -Dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 ds Hot pepper sauce
- 1 sm Fennel bulb; trimmed, diced
- 1 sm Zucchini; diced
- 1 sm Green pepper; diced
- 4 lg Mushrooms; diced
- 1 Celery stalk; diced
- 4 Fresh basil leaves
- Thinly sliced Blanch tomatoes in large pot of boiling water for 1 minute. Drain. Rinse under cold water to cool and drain.
- Using small sharp knife, peel off skin. Cut tomatoes into quarters and remove seeds. Puree tomatoes in blender or processor. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and saute until almost tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; cook 2 minutes.
- Mix in tomato puree, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add fennel; zucchini, green bell pepper, mushrooms and celery. Saute until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring soup to boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Top with vegetable mixture. Garnish with basil and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)