Recipe: Traditional Miso Soup
- 6 c Water
- 1 Strip EDEN Kombu
- 1/4 c EDEN Bonito Flakes
- (may be doubled) 1 sm Onion; sliced in
- very thin half moons 1 Carrot
- cut into thin matchsticks 1/2 c Bok choy
- (cut into medium pieces) — (use green tops only) 1 tb EDEN Instant Wakame Flakes
- 1/4 Block fresh tofu
- cut into small cubes 3 tb EDEN Barley Miso; OR…
- OR- half EDEN Barley Miso – and EDEN Shiro Miso) 4 Scallions, chopped
- Combine water and kombu, bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Add bonito flakes, stir and cover. Let sit for 5-10 minutes, strain soup broth and discard bonito and kombu.
- Add onion and carrots to broth, simmer 5 minutes.
- Add wakame flakes and greens, simmer 1-2 minutes and then turn off heat. Dilute Miso in 1/2 cup soup broth, add to soup.
- Add tofu. Garnish with scallions and serve. Combinations for miso soup are endless.
- Just remember, for best results use three vegetables in small amounts and only cook them slightly.
- Pay attention to colors as well as complementary flavors.
NOTE: When using EDEN Misos in any recipe, do not boil after Miso has been added. The beneficial enzymes are destroyed by heating.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)