Recipe: Turkish Borscht
- 1 tb Safflower Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic, chopped
- 1 lb Raw beets, chopped
- 2 c Shredded cabbage
- 2 Stalks Celery, sliced
- 2 md Potatoes, diced
- 1 md Green or red pepper, chopped
- 2 qt Water or Vegetable stock 1/2 lb Tomatoes, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste 1/2 ts Dill seeds, crushed
- Juice of one lemon 3 tb Chopped fresh dill
- 1 c Plain low-fat yogurt
- Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot and add onion and garlic.
- Saute for a couple of minutes and then add the other vegetables, dill seeds, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, for another minute, then add water or stock. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook for 1 hour.
- Remove 2 cups from pot and puree in a blender or put through a food mill. Return to soup pot. Correct seasonings.
- Serve, topping each bowl with a spoonful of yogurt.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)