Recipe: Turtle And Ham Soup
- 2 lb Turtle meat
- 2 tb Flour
- 1 ea Ham, small piece
- 1 ea Lemon, piece
- 1 x Onion, chopped
- 1 x Cloves
- 1 x Garlic
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 1 x Thyme
- 1 x Parsley
- 1 x Salt & pepper to taste
- Cut ham into bits; mash herbs and seasonings with it, and put them aside.
- Boil turtle meat 15 minutes. Remove from heat and save the stock. Chop up the meat.
- Brown onions in lard or vegetable oil; add turtle meat and brown well.
- Then add ham and seasonings, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and 2-1/2 to 3 quarts water with salt and various peppers (to taste) and also the lemon, chopped very fine.
- Cook for an hour or so stirring frequently.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)