Recipe: Veal-And-Crayfish Stew
- 2 1/2 lb Boneless veal stew meat
- 6 c Low-sodium chicken broth OR all or part Water 1 sm Onion; roughly diced
- 2 Celery stalks; sliced
- 1 md Carrot; roughly diced
- 1/2 ts Salt; or as desired
- 1/2 ts Whole white peppercorns
- 1/4 ts Ground nutmeg
- 1/2 Lemon
- 5 tb Unsalted butter
- 5 tb All-purpose flour
- 1/2 c Dry sherry
- 1 c Whipping cream
- 24 sm Mushroom caps
- 24 Cooked crayfish tails shelled OR 12 oz Cooked lobster meat
- COMBINE THE VEAL and 4 cups broth in a 5-quart heavy pot over high heat on top of the stove.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Remove any scum that comes to the top of the pot, then add the remaining broth, the onion, celery, carrot, salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 1 1/4 hours, or until meat is just tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pot, over low heat, and whisk in the flour.
- Cook, stirring, 2 minutes and remove from heat. Set aside until the meat is cooked.
- When the meat is done, remove it from the liquid with a slotted spoon. Pick off and discard any vegetables that cling to the veal.
- Place the butter-flour mixture over medium-low heat on the stove. Strain the cooking liquid into it, whisking, and add the sherry and cream. Discard vegetables in the strainer.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture thickens, about 3 to 5 minutes. Replace the meat in the pot and add the mushrooms and crayfish.
- Pour in the sauce, place the pot, uncovered, over medium heat and cook 10 minutes.
- To serve, pour into a serving dish.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)