Recipe: Vegetable Broth
- 2 Unpeeled carrots, sliced
- 2 Leeks, both white and green -parts, washed and sliced
- 1 Green from the fennel bulb, -or the bulb itself,
- sliced 2 Turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 lg Onion, sliced
- 3 Unpeeled garlic cloves, cut -in half
- 1 bn Parsley
- 4 Fresh thyme sprigs -OR 1 t Dried thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 c Mushroom stems
- 1 tb Black peppercorns
- 1 c Dry white wine
- Combine all ingredients except peppercorns and wine in a 4-quart pot. Pour over just enough water to cover and heat on high heat until liquid comes to a boil.
- Turn heat down, cover pot and keep broth at a slow simmer. When vegetables have simmered 30 minutes, add peppercorns and white wine and simmer for 10 minutes more.
- Strain through a medium-mesh strainer into a clean pot or heat-resistant plastic container.
- Let broth cool, uncovered, for an hour before putting it in the refrigerator.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)