Recipe: Oatmeal Burger Buns
- 1 pk Active dry yeast
- 1/4 c Warm water
- 1/4 c Molasses
- 4 tb Dairy free margarine
- 2 ts Salt
- 1/4 c Brown sugar
- 2 c Oatmeal (uncooked)
- 1 c Boiling water
- 1 c Cool water
- 2 c Whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 c Unbleached white flour
- Measure 1/4 cup warm water and stir yeast and 1 tablespoon of the molasses in the water.
- Let stand until bubbly. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine margarine, remaining molasses, salt, brown sugar, oatmeal and the boiling water, stirring until margarine melts.
- Add cool water and yeast to above mixture. Beat in 4 cups of the flour, 1 cup at a time. Turn out the dough onto a floured board and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes, adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Turn dough over in a greased bowl; cover and let rise ina warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down and divide into 16 equalpieces. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place balls about 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets and flatten slightly.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled (30 or 40 minutes.) Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- Note: This recipe can be shaped into 2 loaves and placed in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans.
- Allow to rise until double and bake in a 350 degree oven about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)