Recipe: Pacific Rim Brochettes
- 1 lb Extra firm tofu, drained
- 1 ea Stalk fresh lemon grass
- 1/2 bn Fresh mint, chopped
- 6 ea Garlic cloves
- 1 ea Serrano pepper, seeded & — minced
- 2 tb Cilantro stems, chopped
- 2 tb Fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 ea Green onions, chopped
- 1 ts Peanut butter, optional
- 2 tb Brown sugar
- 1 tb Coconut milk, optional Juice of
- 1 lime
- 1/4 c Liquid tamarind
- 2 tb Soy sauce
- 6 ea Green onions
- 2 md Tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 6 sm Jalapeno peppers, optional
- 1/4 lb Snow peas
- 1/4 lb Button mushrooms
- Cliantro leaves to garnish Gently pres tofu between kitchen towels to remove excess water. Slice into pieces 2″ X 1″ X 1/2″.
- Cut each chunk crosswise & set aside. Slice & discard all but bottom 3″ of lemon grass. With a wooden mallet, pound the base to release the aromatic oils.
- In a food processor, combine lemon grass with mint, ginger, garlic, pepper, cilantro & gren onions.
- Process in short bursts for 30 seconds. Add remaining ingredients & process for 1 minute. Transfer to glass container & add tofu pieces. Cover & marinate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Prepare grill. Trim green onions to 2″ pieces. Place vegetables & tofu on sqewers, alternating for colour. (Group snow peas i threes so they don’t cook too quickly).
- Place skewers on hot grill & brush with remaining marinade. Grill, turning once till vegetables are tender.
- Should take 5 minutes or so. Garnish with cilantro & serve.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)