Recipe: Pakora Butter
- 1 1/3 c Chick pea flour, sifted
- 2 ts Ghee
- 1 tb Lemon juice
- 1/4 ts Cayenne
- 1/2 ts Turmeric
- 1 ts Garam masala
- 2 ts Coriander
- 1 ts Salt
- 9 tb Cold water, as needed
- 1/3 ts Baking powder, optional
- Choose a selection of your favourite vegetables: Cauliflower florets Eggplant cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- Potatoes or yams cut into 1/8-inch rounds
- Bell peppers, sliced
- 1/4-inch thick Zucchini, cut on the diagonal
- 1/4-inch thick Asparagus tips, blanched & dried
- Combine the flour, melted ghee, lemon juice, spices & salt in a bowl & mix together well. Add 5 tb of cold water slowly, beating it until the mixture is smooth & free of lumps.
- Slowly add another 3 tb water & continue to beat until well mixed. Check the conssitency, it should resemble the consistency of heavy cream & easily coat a spoon. I
- f it does not, add more water, till it does. Cover the batter & set aside for 10 to 15 minutes to let it settle. Beat again for a couple of minutes to lighten the batter. Stir in the baking powder at this point if you want a cake like crust.
- Heat 3 inches of ghee in a wok or deep skillet till hot. Dip your vegetables in the batter & one by one sloip them into the hot oil.
- Fry until the pakoras are golden brown on all sides. Remove & drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Indian (Northern)