Recipe: Polish Lenten Mushroom “Cutlets” (Kotelty Z Gryzbow)
- 1 lb Mushrooms, fresh;
- 1 c Onion; chopped
- 3 tb Butter
- 2 c Hard rolls;
- 2 or 3 1/2 c Milk
- 3 ea Eggs; lightly beaten
- 3 tb Parsley; chopped -fresh ground pepper -to taste
- 1/2 c Breadcrumbs; more if needed Butter; as needed for -sauteing cutlets
- Chop the mushrooms in a large frying pan, saute them with the onions in 3 tbsp of butter. Soak the cubed hard rolls in milk for about 10 minutes.
- Add to the mushroom-onion mixture. Blend in the eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into cutlet-shaped patties, each patty should take 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mixture. Press the patties onto the breadcrumbs.
- Fry in butter until crisp and brown on both sides. Variation: You could substitute dried mushrooms for part or all of the fresh mushrooms.
- They are a favorite among the Polish for their rich and interesting flavor.”
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)