Recipe: Italian Barley (Vegan)
- 1/2 c Chopped onions
- 1/2 c Chopped sweet green peppers
- 1 Garlic clove; minced
- 1 cn Tomatoes; undrained/in chunk
- 16 oz. can
- 1/2 ts Dried oregano
- 1/2 ts Dried basil
- 2 c Water
- 5 1/4 oz Barley; 3/4 cup
- A tasty side dish for almost any entree, this filling grain also reheats nicely in the microwave. In a medium saucepan over medium heat cook onions, green pepper, and garlic until lightly browned.
- Add small amounts of water if necessary to prevent drying.
- Add tomatoes spices and water. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 50 minutes until barley is tender and water is absorbed. Stir occasionally while cooking and add more water if necessary.
- Note: the original recipe called to saute the 1st three ingredients in olive oil(1T+1t) but I chose to eliminate it and eliminate almost 5 gms fat per serving. Nutrition (per serving): 177 calories Total Fat 1 g (5% of calories)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)