Recipe: Vegetable Stew With Pesto
- 1 lb Eggplant, in 1″ cubes
- 1 tb Kosher Salt
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4 c Olive Oil
- 2 md Carrots sliced
- 3 Cloves Garlic crushed
- 6 md Tomatoes peeled seeded and Finely chopped or 28 oz Can Tomatoes drained and Chopped 4 sm Zucchini in 2″ pieces
- 4 md Potatoes peeled and cut in 1/2″ cubes
- 1/2 c Chicken Broth
- 2 tb Basil Pesto Salt and Pepper
- 2 tb Parmesean Cheese grated
- 2 tb Fresh Basil chopped or 2 ts Dried Basil
- 2 tb Fresh Parsley chopped
- In a colander set in the sink, toss eggplant cubes with Kosher salt. Drain for 1 hour. Wipe eggplant dry with paper towels. While eggplant is draining, arrange green and red peppers on a baking tray. Broil 3″ from heat until skins are evenly blistered red and charred about 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasiona;;y.
- Seal hot peppers in a paper bag for 10 minutes. Peel, seed and cut peppers in strips, holding them over a bowl to catch any juices. In a 6 quart nonreactive pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until transparent, about 3-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add eggplant and garlic. Cook until eggplant starts to brown, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add tomatoes, zucchini, peppers with any juices, potatoes and chicken broth combined with the pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix gently. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 40 minutes until potatoes are tender. Combine Parmesean Cheese, chopped basil, and chopped parsley. Sprinkle atop stew.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)