Recipe: Venison Stew With Raspberries
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 3 lb Venison stew meat
- 1 md Onion; roughly chopped
- 2 md Carrots; roughly chopped
- 2 Celery stalks- roughly chopped
- 1 tb Finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 c Dry red wine
- 1 c Water
- 1 Lemon; cut in half
- 1/2 tb Salt
- 3 tb Raspberry preserves
- 3 tb Green peppercorns in water- drained 1/2 c Whipping cream
- 2 tb Unsalted butter
- PREHEAT OVEN TO 325F. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven and brown the meat well. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook 5 minutes. Add the garlic, wine, water, lemon, salt and preserves. Replace the venison. Cover and place in the oven for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- When venison is tender, remove from the sauce, strain the sauce through a fine sieve and discard the vegetables. Skim and discard fat from the surface of the braising liquid.
- Add the peppercorns, cream and butter and place the sauce in a pot and simmer for 5 minutes. To serve, arrange the meat on a platter and pour over the sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)