Recipe: Vermont Stew
- 1 1/2 lb Boneless turkey meat, cut -into walnut sized pieces
- 1 lg Onion, Peeled and Diced
- 12 oz New or Waxy potatoes, peeled -and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Green Pepper, de-seeded and -diced
- 14 oz Tin Italian Tomatoes,drained
- 1/2 ts Freeze-dried thyme
- 1/2 ts Freeze-dried oregano
- Salt and Pepper
- 6 oz Sweetcorn Kernels
- 1 tb Oil
- Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole and fry the turkey pieces until golden brown. Add the onions, potatoes and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, breaking them unp slightly with a fork.
- add the herbs and enough water just to cover the turkey. Simmer on top of the stove or in an oven preheated to gas mark 4/350F/180C for 45 minutes. Season generously then add sweetcorn. If the sauce is very thin, dissolve a teaspoon of cornflour in a little water and stir it into the casserole.
- Bring gently to the boil until the sauce thickens. You don’t really need anything else with this, though you could follow it with a little spinach salad.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)