Recipe: Zinfandel Beef Stew
- 4 lb Stewing beef, cut into 2″ -cubes
- 2 tb Olive oil
- 2 md Onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut-in thin slices
- 2 c Hot beef stock or bouillon-(homemade, canned or -reconstituted)
- 2 c Red Zinfandel wine
- 1 Garlic clove, unpeeled
- 1 Whole tomato (canned or-fresh), peeled and coarsely -chopped
- 1 t Salt
- 1 t Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t Thyme
- 3 Juniper berries
- 2 Bay leaves, crumbled
- 4 Carrots, cut into 3″ chunks
- 5 Potatoes, peeled and cut-into 3″ chunks
- Soak wet clay pot in water for 15 minutes. Dry beef cubes thoroughly and saute briefly in a large skillet over high heat. Remove meat to pot. Cook onions and carrots in skillet for 3 minutes over medium high heat (add an additional tablespoon of oil if necessary).
- Pour beef stock in skillet, add wine and bring almost to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt, garlic, tomatoes and pepper. Place remaining herbs in a square of cheesecloth and tie into a bundle with string or thread. Bury bundle in meat. Pour contents of skillet over beef and herbs. Cover and place in a cold oven. Set oven temperature at 450’F. and cook for 90 minutes.
- While stew is cooking, steam additional carrots and potatoes. Remove casserole from oven and discard herb bundle. Strain juice over a large bowl. Return beef cubes to casserole. Press baked vegetables in sieve placed over stewing juice. Pour juice over beef cubes in casserole.
- Add steamed carrots and potatoes to casserole. Cover and return to oven for 15-20 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)