Recipe: Zuni Vegetable Stew
- 3/4 c Onion — Chopped
- 1 ea Clove Garlic — Finely Chopped
- 2 tb Vegetable Oil
- 1 ea Red Bell Pepper — Large,
- 2 ea Chiles — Medium Size,
- 1 ea Jalapeno Chile — Seed & Chop
- 1 c Squash — Cubed
- 29 oz Chicken Broth — 2 cans
- 1/2 ts Salt
- 1/2 ts Pepper
- 1/2 ts Coriander — Ground
- 1 c Zucchini — Thinly Sliced
- 1 c Yellow Squash — Thinly Sliced
- 17 oz Whole Kernel Corn — Drained
- 16 oz Pinto Beans — Drained, 1 can
- Bell pepper should be seeded and cut into 2 X 1/4-inch strips.
- Chiles should be either poblano or Anaheim and should be seeded and cut into 2 X 1/2-inch strips.
- Use either hubbard or acorn squash. (about 1/2 pound)
- Cook and stir onion and garlic in oil in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Stir in bell pepper, poblano and jalapeno chiles. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in Hubbard squash, broth, salt, pepper and coriander. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer until squash is tender, aobut 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)