Recipe: Duck and Roasted Walnut Salad
- 2 duck breasts Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup walnuts Dressing (recipe follows)
- 1 cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon raspberry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oils, soy sauce and sugar.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place duck breasts on a rack in a baking pan and season with salt and pepper; roast 45 minutes.
- Let cool and slice thin. Spread walnuts on a cookie sheet and roast at 350 degrees 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are brown and give off a rich, nutty aroma; stir once or twice during cooking.
- Prepare dressing. Toss a little dressing with cucumber slices and arrange on a platter; fan duck slices on top. Spoon reserved dressing over top and garnish with roasted walnuts and chopped onion.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Chinese