Recipe: Duck in Guinness and Honey
- 1 duck, trussed
- 2 Tbls. oil
- 2 Tbls. honey
- 1 Tbls. brown sugar
- 1 cup Guinness pinch each nutmeg and cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups demiglaze or duck stock pinch each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 475F.
- Wash and truss the duck. Brush with oil and seal in a hot oven until browned (about 10 to 12 minutes). Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan mix together the honey, sugar, Guinness and spices and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add demiglaze or stock and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to 300F, cover the duck with the sauce and roast for 60 to 75 minutes. Baste occasionally.
- Test with a fork. If the sauce tastes too bitter at the end of cooking time, add a little more honey. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for a few minutes before carving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)