Recipe: Duck With Sugar Cane – Vit Tiem Mia
- 1/2 c Shelled peanuts, red skin -removed
- 1/2 c Chestnuts, either fresh or -dried
- 1/2 c Ginkgo nuts, canned or fresh
- 1/2 c Dried lotus seeds 8 Dried Chinese mushrooms
- 1/2 c Red dates (jujubes)
- 1 Duck (about 5 pounds)
- Salt 1 tb
- Finely chopped fresh ginger -root
- 3 Shallots, chopped fine
- 2 Eighteen-inch pieces of -sugar cane (if unavailable, -omit) Clear water from 1 coconut
- 1 ts Rock sugar 1 tb Fish sauce 3 Scallions
- Green part and white, cut into 4 -pieces crosswise Black pepper to taste Fresh coriander, chopped Prepare the various nuts, the lotus seeds, dried mushrooms, and red dates as follows: Soak the peanuts in hot water for 30 minutes; drain and set aside. If using dried chestnuts, boil for 20 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- If using fresh ginkgo nuts, remove the shell and blanch to remove the thin inner skin; set aside. Soak the Chinese mushrooms in hot water for 20 minutes, then drain, remove the stems and cut into quarters; set aside. Boil the dried lotus seeds for 20 minutes; drain and set aside. Soak the red dates in hot water for 30 minutes. (If they are very dry, boil for 10 minutes.)
- Drain and set aside. Rinse and clean the duck. Rub salt over the duck and rinse off; let dry for 10 minutes. Combine the ginger, shallots, and 1 teaspoon salt. Rub the inside of the duck with the mixture. Combine the peanuts, chest- nuts, ginkgo nuts, lotus seeds, and 1 teaspoon salt and stuff the duck. Sew the duck closed with heavy white thread, or else use skewers. Peel the sugar cane and cut into thin lengthwise strips, the same length as the duck. Place 3 pieces of white kitchen string on a flat surface, long enough to tie the slices of sugar cane around the duck, covering the entire surface. Bring the string around and tie as you would a roast. Turn the duck over and slide the remaining strips under the string, covering the entire duck with the sugar cane.
- Pour the coconut water into a large pot. Put the duck into the pot and add enough water to completely cover. Add the rock sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil and remove the scum continuously for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down, cover, and keep at a lively bubble for 2 hours. Turn the duck every 30 minutes. After 2 hours, remove the duck from the pot; untie and discard the sugar cane. To the liquid remaining in the pot add the mushrooms, red dates, 1 teaspoon salt, and the fish sauce. Boil, covered, for 15 minutes, then remove the duck to the broth, cover, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the duck and add the scallion pieces to the broth. To serve, break the duck, with the bones, into 8 pieces. Put the pieces in individual bowls and add broth, some of the various nuts that were stuffed into the duck, red dates, and mushrooms. Sprinkle with black pepper and chopped fresh coriander.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Vietnamese