Recipe: Green Peppercorn Duck
- 1 (4-lb) duckling
- 2 tb Salt
- 2 qt Water
- 1/2 c Chopped onion
- 1/2 c Chopped celery
- 1 Garlic clove; minced
- 1 Bay leaf 2 ts Butter or margarine
- 2 ts Flour 1/2 ts Ground star anise
- 1 tb Green peppercorns in wine
- Salt Remove backbone from duck and quarter or bone duck, reserving backbone and giblets for broth. Place salt in deep saucepan, add duck pieces and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove duck, place in shallow casserole and bake at 350F 45 minutes, increasing heat to 375F during last 10 minutes. Combine giblets, backbone and water in saucepan, cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours. Skim off fat. Add onion, celery, garlic and bay leaf to broth, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Strain. Melt butter in saucepan, stir in flour and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Add broth and cook until slightly thickened. Add star anise and green peppercorns and season to taste with salt. Serve sauce over duck.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)