Recipe: Mahogany Duck
- 2 Ducks, 4-1/2;
- 4-3/4 lb Marinade:
- 1/4 c Scotch
- 3 tb Fresh gingerroot, peeled & s -redded
- 1 1/2 ts Garlic,
- minced 2 tb Orange zest, julienned 1 ts Coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 ts Black peppercorns,
- crushed 3/4 c Soy sauce
- 2 tb Honey
- 2 tb Dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 sl Bread
- 2 Scallions
- 2 Parsley
- 3 c Beer Sauce: 1 3/4 c Brown stock
- 2 ts Arrowroot
- dissolved in 3 tb Cold water
- Kumquats for garnish Rinse ducks, pat dry, and remove excess fat from body cavities. Truss the birds. Arrange them, breast side up, several inches apart on a rack set over a large roasting pan.
- Let them dry, chilled but uncovered, for 3 days. In a bowl, combine the Scotch, gingerroot, garlic, zest, coriander, peppercorns, soy sauce, honey, and brown sugar. Let this mixture stand, covered and chilled, for 3 days. Stir marinade, and press it through a fine sieve into a small bowl.
- Keeping the ducks chilled, brush them with some of the marinade, every 30 minutes, for 2-1/2 hours. Let the ducks dry at room temperature for 30 minutes. Stuff each duck with one of the bread slices, 1 scallion and 1 parsley sprig.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)