Recipe: Mom’S Brown Stew
- 2 pounds beef flank steak, trimmed and cubed
- 1 quart boiling water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic — minced
- 1 large onion — sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Dash ground allspice or cloves 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large potatoes
- 6 carrots
- 1 pound small white onions
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Coat a Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray; brown meat. Add boiling water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, bay leaves, paprika, spice and sugar.
- Cover; simmer for 2 hours, adding more water if necessary.
- Cut potatoes in 2 inch chunks and carrots into 1 inch diagonal slices; peel onions.
- Add onions; cook 10 minutes. Add carrots; cook 10 minutes. Add potatoes; cook until tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to heat proof casserole; keep hot in oven while thickening stew liquid with flour and water mixture. Bring to boil. Pour hot gravy over meat and vegetables.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)