Recipe: O’Donoghue’S Beef Stew
- 1 1/2 lb Round steak — or stew
- Steak 3 md Carrots
- 3 md Parsnips
- 1/2 c Barley, pearled
- 8 Potatoes
- Stock or soup mixture (beef Or oxtail) Salt Pepper Mixed herbs
- Boil some water in a large saucepan, sufficient to cover the meat and have approx 1″ left above.
- Put in the chopped (large chunks) meat, lower heat to keep the stew simmering, put in the chopped/diced carrots and parsnips, add herbs, salt and pepper to taste, leave simmer for a while (say 20 mins).
- Add the peeled whole potatoes and some stock/soup mixture or cornflour to thicken, keep the mixture simmering and stir occasionally, after about 1hr from start-time taste and check the potatoes.
- If it tastes ok then its done. Remember the best stews are left on for a long time 1 1/2 hrs or more.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)