Recipe: Orange Beef And Barley Stew
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed with garlic press
- 1 can (28-oz.) plum tomatoes
- 1 can beef broth (13 3/4ounces)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3 (3×1 inch) orange peel
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup barley
- Preheat oven to 350. In 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot vegetable oil, cook beef chunks, half at a time, until browned; remove to bowl.
- In same Dutch oven in 1 more tablespoon hot vegetable oil, cook carrots and onions until browned. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Return meat to Dutch oven; add tomatoes with their liquid, beef broth, rd wine, orange peel, bay leaf, and salt. Over high heat, heat to boiling stirring with spoon to break up tomatoes.
- If you like, transfer mixture to deep 5-quart casserole; cover and bake 45 to 60 minutes longer until beef and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)