Recipe: Orange Venison Stew
- 1 Pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 6 Tablespoons Shallots,minced
- 6 Tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 1 Pound venison, cubed
- 1/4 Cup flour, for dredging
- 3 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green peppers, 1 inch cubes
- 2 large potatoes, pared & cubed
- 8 small white onions
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Peel,Grated
- 2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups beef broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Saute mushrooms & shallots in 4 Tablespoons of butter ina large skillet.
- Add wine; cook over high heat until reduced to half. Pour mixture into 3 quart casserole. Dredge venison lightly in flour & saute in remaining 2 Tablespoons butter.
- Add tomatoes, pepper, potatoes & onions; saute for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add orange peel. Stir in flor. Add beef broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Boil 1 minute. Stir mixture into casserole; add bay leaf. Cover; bake at 350 degrees F. for 1 1/4 hours or until meat & vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: Italian