Recipe: Pork Stew With Corn Bread Topping
- 1 ea Red Bell Pepper; Small
- 1 ea Yellow Bell Pepper; Small
- 1 lb Pork; Boneless Loin,
- 1/2 lb Chorizo Sausage; Bulk
- 1 c Onion; Chopped, 1 Large
- 2 ea Cloves Garlic;Finely Chopped
- 1 c Beef Broth
- 1 T Basil Leaves; Dried
- 1 T Cilantro Leaves; Dried
- 2 t Red Chiles; Ground
- 1 c Corn; Whole Kernel
- 1 c Tomato; Chopped, 1 Medium
- 1 ea Squash; Small,
- 2 1/4 oz Sliced Ripe Olives; Drained
- ——-CORN BREAD TOPPING——-
- 1 1/2 c Cornmeal; Yellow
- 1/2 c Unbleached Flour
- 1 c Dairy Sour Cream
- 2/3 c Milk
- 1/4 c Vegetable Oil
- 2 t Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Baking Soda
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 ea Egg; Large
- 1 x Fresh Tomato Salsa;
- Meat should be cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Use 1 small butternut or acorn squash, pared and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 cup).
- See Sowest1 for recipe.
- Seed peppers and cut 5 thin slices from each pepper and reserve. Chop remaining bell peppers (about 1/2 cup each).
- Cook pork, sausage, onion and garlic in 4-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until pork is no longer pink; drain. Stir in chopped bell peppers, broth, basil, cilantro and ground red chiles. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir corn, tomato, squash and olives into meat mixture; cook another 15 minutes. Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare Cornbread Topping.
- Pour meat mixture into ungreased rectangular baking dish, 13 X 9 X 2-inches, or 3-quart shallow casserole. Pour Corn Bread Topping over meat mixture; carefully spread to cover, sealing to edge of dish.
- Arrange reserved bell pepper slices on top. Bake until topping is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with Fresh Tomato Salsa. CORN BREAD TOPPING: Mix all ingredients; beat vigorously for 30 seconds.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)