Recipe: President Eisenhower’S Old-Fashioned Beef Stew (En)
- 2 pounds stewing beef (Prime round)
- –cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces 2 1/2 pints beef stock
- 1 pound small Irish potatoes
- 1 bunch small carrots
- 3/4 pound small onions
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- Assorted spices in a cloth bag –(thyme, bay leaves, garlic, etc.) Salt Pepper
- In a pot combine meat and stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is tender. Add vegetables and spices.
- Cook until vegetables are done, strain off one cup of stock from stew, thicken slightly with beef roux mixture (???).
- Pour back into stew and let simmer until ready to serve (about one-half hour).
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)